’Uy’ skweyul snunéymuxw (Good Day Nanaimo)
Today starts the International Year of Indigenous Languages. https://en.iyil2019.org/
IYIL2019 will promote indigenous languages in these five key areas
1. Increasing understanding, reconciliation and international cooperation.
2. Creation of favourable conditions for knowledge-sharing and dissemination of good practices with regards to indigenous languages.
3. Integration of indigenous languages into standard setting.
4. Empowerment through capacity building.
5. Growth and development through elaboration of new knowledge.
Hul’q’umi’num’ (Halkomelem) is the traditional language spoken by the Coast Salish People. I would like to see Nanaimo and the RDN implement #3 by adding Hul’q’umi’num’ greetings to travellers who enter our city and our District and add Hul’q’umi’num’ to some street signs and landmarks in our city. As part of that work I think it’s also important that people be able to hear the pronouncement of the words so I would like to see the city create a system of QR codes to allow people to scan the code and hear the correct pronouncement of the word.